BAKS+ is currently seeking teachers, teacher assistants, and substitute teachers for both our Berkeley and our Pleasant Hill locations for the 2017–2018 school year.
Teaching at BAKS+
Classes run for 40 weeks through the school year (September to mid-June). Individual classes have up to 12 students and meet once a week on a weekday, generally in the afternoon (3:30 to 6:00 pm), with a few classes for older students meeting in the evening (6:30 to 8:45 pm). The classroom teacher is responsible for implementing the curriculum, preparing all activities, differentiating the lessons based on each student’s proficiency level, and ongoing student assessment and parent-teacher communication. BAKS+ uses German textbooks and reading material as well as DaF material to support and personalize the curriculum. Prospective candidates should hold a teaching credential and/or have experience teaching German, or have taught school-aged children a German-speaking country. All candidates should have native-speaker-level German abilities. A commitment for the entire school year is required.
Compensation and Benefits
- BAKS+ teachers are paid for 2.5 hours/week of class time and 1 (grades K–7) or 2 (grades 8 and up) hours/week of prep time for each class, as well as for staff meeting attendance; teachers receive three weeks of paid vacation per year (Thanksgiving week and two weeks for Christmas break).
- BAKS+ teachers can teach just one afternoon a week, or as many as four afternoons per week, per their preference.
- BAKS+ teachers receive a 50% tuition discount for their children attending BAKS+.
- BAKS+ teachers receive a tuition discount for their children attending Kinderstube (the preschool) at the rate of 1% for each hour per week worked.
- For teachers who live more than 20 miles away from the BAKS+ location where they teach, BAKS+ offers commuting cost reimbursement for miles traveled or for public transport costs incurred.
- BAKS+ Summer Camp 2017: We are seeking additional teachers and assistants for our German summer camp for kids aged 3–13. Camp runs in two 2-week sessions, 7/17–728 and 7/31–8/11, Mon–Fri, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Teacher Assistants: Teacher assistants help teachers during educational time and recess. They must be sufficiently fluent in spoken and written German to help students with their assignments.
- Substitute Teachers: BAKS+ is also looking for qualified teachers interested in substitute teaching in our classes as needed.
Please contact our directors, Heike Feltes and Sylvia Klein, at email@example.com.